Monday, June 18, 2012

Garfield Family Camping

       Camping with four children is anything but peaceful (think dirty, wet, in the fire, and whining to go home and watch a movie) but we did have some wonderful times.  When  we asked the kids what their favorite moments were Hyrum mentioned  boating in our inflatable canoe, complete with a snowball fight on the far side of the lake and marshmallows. (He was snitching at the treats every time I turned around). He also enjoyed making his parents crazy by continually traversing a log that crossed about four feet above the stream.   Alexa liked all the hide-and-seek and tickle fights in the tent and marshmallows.  Hazel liked throwing pine cones in the stream and the marshmallows.  Apparently, we really like marshmallows.  Lily doesn't much care for marshmallows; she really enjoys eating handfuls of dirt at every opportunity.  And boy did she have plenty of opportunities. 
         Kyle got to canoe on his B-day and have "pasta surprise"  aka hobo dinners (I guess the surprise was that there was no pasta) and dutch oven pineapple upside down cake.  Another day we hiked around the lake and up the hill and he talked about naming a subsequent daughter Athena--Goddess of War.  I said we should have twins and name them Athena and Salem.  No one got it.  Sigh.
        As for myself,  I really loved sitting on a rock in the middle of the creek nursing the baby, singing campfire songs, eating trail mix, canoeing,  hiking, squeegie hunts, and tickling with the children.
       A moment of interest: The first evening I was watching the kids float a cool whip bowl down the creek. They followed it a little ways downstream before I caught up with them. They were on the opposite side and standing next to what I at first took for a very strange group of branches.  But, as I kept staring, I realized they weren't branches but a rack of ribs.  I pulled the kids across the stream and washed their hands as fast as I could. They weren't allowed to go downstream the rest of the trip, though I was curiously drawn to the bones and went back to take pics.
       
     
      

1 comment: