Friday, October 28, 2011

Night time roaming

It was midnight when I awoke from Lily's dream feed.  The house was quiet, our light was on, and Kyle wasn't in bed.  I  figured Kyle had gone to comfort one of the children and fallen asleep, so I laid the baby down and went looking.  Not in Hyrum's, not in with the girl's.  That's odd.  Maybe he rolled under the bed.  I check both bedrooms again and kick under the beds just to be sure.  No Kyle. I call his name hesitantly, not wanting to wake the children, but wanting to wake Kyle if he was somewhere in the house. No Kyle.

Hmmmm...  I'm starting to panic, but I look some more-- on the couches, in the basement, in the bathtubs, in the closets. After 3 thorough searches of every nook and cranny that I thought he could possibly be in (and some that I'm sure he couldn't have been in, but I looked there anyway), I started to hyperventilate. I said a pleading, shaky, tearful prayer and went looking again. His car was in the driveway, so he couldn't have gone far.  The only clue I had was that the back door was unlocked.  That's when my imagination went into overdrive, conjuring all kinds of horrible deaths.  A heart attack.  A thief.  A psycho serial killer.  But, I was too terrified to open the door and look.

That's when I called Corey, who answered the phone half asleep,"Hello."   "I can't find Kyle and I'm so scared." He asked me questions about where I had looked and if i had checked the caller ID.  That calmed me down a bit and I was about to check when there was a faint tap,tap, tap at the door.  "Who is it?"  I'm not about to open the door if it isn't Kyle.  "It's me."  Relief, embarrassment, anger,confusion.  I open the door.
"What were you doing?"
"Delivering fliers."
"What?!"
"I had these fliers to deliver and you were sleeping and I didn't want t wake you.  I thought it would be a good time so I wouldn't have to take time from our family." 
Now how can you be angry at that.  "OK. Just don't Ever Do That Again."

Then Kyle goes to bed, but I'm too keyed up for sleep.  I daydream about all the horrible "what ifs.. " that could have happened and laugh to myself about some poor little old lady calling the police because she hears noises at her door when it's just kyle delivering fliers at midnight.

1 comment: