Monday, October 31, 2011

Something there is that doesn't love shoes

What is it with kids and shoes?  Whenever I want to go somewhere, I spend 20 minutes gathering shoes from around the house.  One of Alexa's is under the bed, the other is in the bathroom.  Hazel has one in the diaper box and one in the diaper bag.  Hyrum's shoes are in the car and under the couch.  Why?  Why are they never together?

So, I proceed to shoe all of the children whose shoes I can find and get them in the car.  If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results, I have been insane for quite some time now.  I have no idea why I expect my childrens' shoes to be on their feet when we reach our destination.  You would think that they would have me trained by now.  So, I put the shoes on again or decide that shoes are entirely over-rated (depending on the weather and location) and Ta Da we have arrived.

Then there are vacations and shoes. This takes things to a whole new level.   Last year we went to the Minnatonka (no idea how to spell that) caves.  We are doing great. Everyone has spiffy new sandals from their Nana.  Half way through the return trip Hyrum starts screaming in the dark,"My shoe, My shoe."  We felt around, but were near a drop off, so we figured it was gone.  Alexa suggested, "Why don't we get a rope, lower it down, tie it around the shoe and pull it up".  I told her that was a nice idea, but we didn't have a rope--never mind the little flaw in logic, she was only 3 at the time. Two weeks passed. We bought a new pair of sandals. Three weeks later I got a phone call saying they had found Hyrum's sandal and were shipping it to us-no charge.  And I felt a renewal of faith in humanity.

Last weekend we drove 12 hours to visit my sister in Post Falls, ID.  At every stop, we spent time looking for shoes. Sometimes we found them and sometimes not. And, yes, my daughter entered gross rest stop bathrooms in her bare-feet. I have no shame,but my children will probably die of some horrid fungal disease someday.  On the way home, we stopped at a McDonald's in ID Falls.  Only Alexa entered the restaurant with her shoes on.  Monday morning Alexa missed the bus because I spent too much time searching for her shoes.  Eventually, I realized we must have left them somewhere along the way and got her to school with some old shoes.  I called the McDonald's and they had her shoes and offered to hold them until a friend could come to get them.  Once again I think people are wonderful.

So I have learned that lost shoes teaches me about humility and the goodness of humanity.  Now if I could just find my shoes...

Hyrum's shoes went on a trip to the dino park.

No comments:

Post a Comment